Nathan R. VanRyn
Nathan concentrates his practice in commercial litigation and Employment law. He received his law degree from Wayne State University. His professional Experience includes research and writing for the Michigan Supreme Court and in the Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Michigan, as well as experience working for a large West Michigan law firm. Nathan focuses his practice in labor and employment litigation along with some general litigation matters.
Areas of Practice:
- General Civil Litigation
- Enforcement and Defense of Non-Competition/Non-Solicitation Agreement
- Litigation and Arbitrations
- Lender liability and other claims against Commercial and Residential lenders
- Defense of Employers in Wrongful Discharge and other Employment related litigation claims
- ERISA litigation and related claims
- Debt Collection matters
- General legal Counseling and Advice on Employer/Employee matters
- Employee Handbooks
- Employment Agreement
- Non-Competition Agreement
- Wage and Hour issues
- Family Medical Leave Act Issues
Representative Success Stories:
- Represented client aggressively in obtaining dismissal of a $2,000,000 judgment entered against the client prior to the representation, and negotiated a settlement of $1,000.
- Represented client being sued for hiring an employee who allegedly violated a non-compete agreement. Plaintiff claimed $2,100,000 in damages. Aggressively responded and obtained a ruling by the court to suppress the non-compete agreement from evidence at trial thereby forcing the plaintiff to voluntarily dismiss its breach of contract claim for lack of evidence.
- Represented commercial landlord in suit to recover unpaid rent from the tenant’s affiliated company even though the affiliate had no contract with landlord. On theory that corporate veil of tenant should be pierced, won summary judgment against affiliate for full amount owed on lease plus attorneys' fees incurred on piercing claim.
- Michigan, 2006
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- Wayne State University Law School, Juris Doctor, 2006
- Western Michigan University, B.A., 2003
Professional organizations and memberships:
- State Bar of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Ottawa County Bar Association
- Zeeland Chamber of Commerce
- Holland Young Professionals
- Grand Rapids Young Professionals
- Christian Legal Aid Clinic (Detroit, Michigan), Past Board Member
- Deacon at Forest Hills Bible Chapel
- Board member for the Aqueduct Project.