William R. VanderSluis
William R. Vander Sluis received his B.A. degree from Calvin College and his J.D. (magna cum laude) from the University of Toledo College of Law. He was valedictorian of his law school class. Bill lectures on issues involving real estate transactions and title insurance and has co-authored an article about real estate taxes that was published in the Michigan Real Property Review. He is a member of the Real Property and Business Law sections of the State Bar of Michigan.
Areas of Practice:
- Real Estate Acquisitions and Sales
- Real Estate Leasing
- Residential, Industrial, Commercial and Office Leases
- Commercial and Residential Real Estate Development
- Condominium Development and Operation
- Bank Construction Financing
- Real Estate Tax Appeals
- Real Estate Tax Cap and Tax Exemptions
- Zoning and Land Use Planning
- Environmental Law
- Construction Law
- Title and Survey Review
- 1031 Like Kind Exchanges
- Represented Chapter 11 debtor in $5,000,000.00 sale and lease-back of industrial facility.
- Represented real estate developer in connection with a $50,000,000.00 office building. Work included street vacation, zoning issues, site plan approvals, and assembly of multiple parcels of real estate.
- Represented local college in conjunction with sale of entire campus, and purchase of replacement real estate and construction of new facilities. Work included site plan approvals, zoning issues, and variances.
- Represented purchaser of two 40-unit residential apartment buildings. Work included sale negotiations and tenant transition issues.
- Represented residential real estate developer in acquisition and improvement of 60-unit residential site condominium project.
- Represented developer in conjunction with mixed use project. Work included site acquisition, site plan approval, zoning approval, and preparation of mixed use condominium documents.
- Represented investment group in purchase of 8-building office complex from foreclosing bank. Work conducted included purchase price negotiations, title, survey, and environmental due diligence.
- Represented general contractor in conjunction with $30,000,000.00 construction lien lawsuit.
- Represented homeowner in conjunction with negotiation of utility easement with neighbor.
- Represented transplanted medical doctor in conjunction with purchase of home.
- Represented farmer in conjunction with enrollment of 400 hundred acres in Farmland Development Program with State of Michigan.
- Advised members of a real estate development limited liability company as to preservation of real estate tax cap in conjunction with dissolution of company and transfer of assets to individual members.
- Michigan, 1984
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1984
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1984
- University of Toledo College of Law, Toledo, Ohio, 1984
Honors: Magna Cum Laude
Honors: Order of the Coif
- Calvin College, B.A., 1979
Major: American History
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Member of the City of Wyoming Zoning Board of Appeals
- Affiliate Member of the National Association of Realtors
- Article on Real Estate Taxes (co-author), Michigan Real Property Review