Brian E. Kersey
Brian E. Kersey joined the firm in 2017 and is a member of the Business and Corporate practice area. Mr. Kersey concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial finance and aviation law matters.
In financing transactions, Mr. Kersey has extensive experience representing both lenders and borrowers in syndicated loan facilities, secured and unsecured term loans and revolving credit facilities, real estate loans, aircraft loans and leases, asset based lending, construction lending, and the issuance of tax-exempt bonds and taxable notes.
In aviation matters, Mr. Kersey represents clients in a wide variety of areas, including purchase and sale transactions, regulatory compliance, risk management, tax planning, Part 91 and Part 135 operations and management and leasing arrangements (both aircraft and hangar space). Mr. Kersey has extensive experience in international purchase and sale transactions. Transaction experience ranges from individuals buying or selling single engine aircraft to Fortune 500 companies buying or selling large cabin jets, with the aircraft being based throughout the United States.
Every year since 2013, Mr. Kersey has been recognized on The Best Lawyers in America list for his work in the banking and finance law practice area. He has also been recognized by the Leading Lawyers Network as a Leading Lawyer in Corporate Finance Law.
Mr. Kersey attended Central Michigan University where he graduated in 1988 with a B.B.A. in finance. He was awarded a M.B.A. from Indiana University in 1996, where he was elected to the Beta Sigma Gamma Business Honor Society. In 2000, Mr. Kersey received his J.D. from the University of Notre Dame Law School.
Prior to law school, Mr. Kersey was a commercial loan officer with a large regional bank.
Mr. Kersey is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, Chair of the Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, President of the Bills Lake Association and has served on the board of numerous nonprofit organizations.
Recent Representative Aviation Transactions:
- Purchase and resale of foreign registered Boeing Business Jet.
- Purchase of new Gulfstream G280.
- Purchase of FBO with Part 135 certificate and Part 141 flight school.
- Represented a national financial institution in multiple rounds of financing for 737 and 767 aircraft.
- Purchase of NetJets fractional interest in Phenom 300.
- Purchase agreement for up to 36 new single-engine piston airplanes with scheduled deliveries over a period of approximately 18 months.
- Sale of undivided interest in King Air aircraft with co-owner agreement.
- Numerous transactions representing buyers and sellers of used aircraft across the United States with individual transaction values ranging from $200,000 to $15 million, including aircraft being imported into the United States. Clients include individuals, family offices and corporate flight departments.
- University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D., 2000)
- Indiana University (M.B.A., 1996)
- Central Michigan University (B.B.A., 1988)
Recognition by Peers
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2018
- Leading Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan, Member
- Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, Chair