Areas of Practice
James R. Bruinsma
Jim Bruinsma practices civil litigation, with a focus on real estate, financial services, and commercial matters. He has experience representing clients in a broad range of complex lawsuits and appeals. Jim also serves on the firm’s management committee.
Noteworthy matters include:
- Counsel to developer regarding litigation, development, environmental, conservation, property tax, regulatory, and zoning issues related to purchase and development of $50 million beachfront acreage along Lake Michigan.
- Counsel to Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation since 1999 in financial services class action matters.
- Counsel to former Tribal Judge and other professionals in a series of disputes involving issues of Tribal sovereign immunity and enforceability of Tribal contracts after a change in the political control of the Tribe.
- Board member and Election Law Trainer, Michigan Center for Election Law; served as counsel to a proposed class of Michigan voters, along with Obama for America and the Democratic National Committee in action to protect voting rights in 2008 Presidential Election.
- Michigan, 1993
- Illinois, 1999
- Harvard University, J.D., cum laude, 1991
- University of Michigan, A.B., with highest distinction, 1987
- LexisNexis Practice Guide: Michigan Real Estate Litigation, “Adverse Possession, Trespass and Nuisance Litigation”
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, “Designing a Successful Surplus Property Disposition Program,” June 8, 2009
- US Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- US District Court, Western District of Michigan
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Honorable Robert P. Griffin, Michigan Supreme Court, 1991-1993