Areas of Practice
Aaron M. Smith
Aaron Smith provides practical counsel in all phases of the commercial real estate transactions he handles, guiding clients through both legal and business issues to help them achieve their objectives.
Aaron represents purchasers and sellers, lessors and lessees, and lenders and borrowers across the spectrum of real property matters, advising individuals, family businesses, non-profits, banks, and closely and publicly held companies. He has experience across a variety of projects including office, retail, industrial, multi-use, multi-family, and corporate facilities.
In addition to property acquisition, disposition, and leasing, Aaron is particularly adept at real estate development and financing. He has parlayed his love of the outdoors and membership in the West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance into advising on recreational land use matters, and he has presented at national and regional conferences on recreational access and trail development agreements.
Clients know they can rely on Aaron to drive real estate deals proactively, instead of reacting to issues after they arise. He fosters deep relationships with his clients, helping them to comprehensively evaluate risk, but ultimately giving them informed decisions to get them to their goals.
Outside of the office, Aaron devotes his attention to his family, while occasionally finding time to fuel his passion for cycling, downhill skiing, and rooting for his beloved St. Louis Cardinals.
- Washington University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2002
- Hope College, Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, magna cum laude, 1999
Honors & Awards:
- The Best Lawyers in America©
- Real Estate Law (Grand Rapids) – 2018 to present
- Leading LawyersSM
- Commercial Real Estate Law (Grand Rapids)
Professional Associations and Membership:
- State Bar of Michigan
- Real Property Law Section
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Real Property Section, Executive Committee, 2015 to present
- Young Lawyers Section, Past Chair
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- City of East Grand Rapids
- Parks & Recreation Commission Advisory Board
- International Mountain Biking Association
- West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance