Areas of Practice
Business & Corporate
Andrew C. Shier
For nearly 25 years, Andy Shier has helped clients evaluate, enforce, and defend their business and real estate interests, both in and out of court.
Andy often represents banks and commercial creditors in troubled loan or business relationships and works to resolve complex issues that arise when deals go bad and companies fail. He has extensive experience mitigating client risk through negotiation, forbearance, lawsuits, foreclosures, asset surrenders, receiverships, and UCC liquidation sales. Andy also advises creditors affected by bankruptcy or receivership actions to help maximize their potential recovery.
In the courtroom, Andy frequently handles cases involving breach of contract, business torts, non-competition agreements, commercial evictions and construction liens. Andy also advises individuals and homeowners associations on zoning and land use-related matters.
Clients appreciate Andy’s pragmatism, efficiency and understanding of their true goals and objectives. He evaluates his clients’ legal problems from a practical, bottom-line perspective, always asking whether a claim or defense should be pursued, rather than whether it could be pursued. Andy also applies his litigation experience to help clients identify and avoid problems before they occur, particularly by drafting and reviewing their contracts.
Outside of the office, Andy enjoys spending time with his wife and four children as well as hiking, camping and long-distance running.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- University of Minnesota Law School, Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, 1998
- Order of the Coif
- Eastern Michigan University, Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Political Science, summa cum laude, 1995
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Michigan
- Litigation and Small Firm Sections
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association, West Michigan Chapter
- Board Member of Cascade Community Foundation