Areas of Practice
David L. Smith
David Smith has been with McShane & Bowie for more than 50 years and during that lifetime of experience he has focused his practice exclusively on commercial real estate and development. He is now Of Counsel to the Firm and is no longer accepting new client assignments.
For the property owners, builders, contractors, tenants, non-profits, and other clients he has represented, David offered a wealth of expertise. As Of Counsel, he will provide advice and wisdom to others in the Firm dealing with such matters.
David has earned the respect of his peers, as demonstrated by his appearance on the list of Best Lawyers© in Real Estate Law each year since 1993, and his AV Preeminent Lawyer rating, placing David in the highest echelon of the legal profession.
David has given back to the community as a past member of the East Grand Rapids School Board, the East Grand Rapids Planning Commission, Rotary Club of Grand Rapids and Mayflower Congregational Church. He also served his country as an officer in the U.S. Army
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Washington University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1970
- Denison University, Bachelor of Arts, 1967
Honors & Awards:
- Best Lawyers© in America
- Real Estate Law (Grand Rapids) – 1993 to present
- AV Preeminent Lawyer (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- Super Lawyers (Michigan) Real Estate, 2007–2021
Professional Associations and Membership:
- State Bar of Michigan
- Master Lawyers and Real Property Law Sections
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- American Bar Association