Areas of Practice
Business & Corporate
Labor & Employment Law
James R. Bruinsma
Jim Bruinsma focuses on commercial, financial services, and real estate litigation, as well as business and corporate representation that includes contract negotiation, land use and real estate development, governance, and financial transactions.
As a litigator, he regularly represents clients involved in commercial disputes in state and federal courts. For many years, he has also represented automotive finance companies in complex consumer class action and commercial finance litigation, including related appeals.
In the real estate arena, Jim represents developers regarding a variety of land use issues, including state and local regulatory approvals, easements and access rights, construction contracts, public access, and disputes involving permitting decisions by local zoning officials or by Michigan’s Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy. He also shares his knowledge of real estate litigation as a contributing author on adverse possession, trespass, and nuisance litigation issues in Michigan Real Estate Litigation, an authoritative practice guide for attorneys in the state.
Jim manages a variety of business and legal needs for closely-held companies, including facilitating supplier and vendor contracts, production agreements, real estate acquisition and disposition, financing, and related matters.
Jim appreciates the unique challenges that each new matter poses. Clients appreciate his keen judgment, and because he is a quick study, they value his ability to make insightful, decisions. Highly regarded by his colleagues in the legal profession, Jim has repeatedly been selected to the annual lists of Super Lawyers and Leading Lawyers, and he has earned an AV Preeminent Lawyer ranking from Martindale-Hubbell, a symbol of professional excellence.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Harvard Law School, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1991
- University of Michigan, Bachelor of Arts, with highest distinction, 1987
Honors & Awards:
- Super Lawyers (Michigan)
- Land Use & Zoning, 2011–2012 and 2017-2019
- Leading Lawyers SM
- Commercial Litigation (Grand Rapids)
- AV Preeminent Lawyer (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law, Litigation, and Real Property Law Sections
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- “Adverse Possession, Trespass and Nuisance Litigation,” (chapter) LexisNexis Practice Guide: Michigan Real Estate Litigation
- “Designing a Successful Surplus Property Disposition Program,” Michigan Lawyers Weekly, June 8, 2009