Areas of Practice
Nicholas C. Heinz
As an associate in the firm’s business and corporate practice group, Nick Heinz draws from his in-house and law firm background to represent clients in a wide array of transactional and compliance needs.
Before joining McShane & Bowie, Nick served as vice president and deputy general counsel for a top ten global insurance brokerage, working closely with the chief legal officer to build its legal department and ensure proper corporate governance. Nick negotiated numerous commercial contracts and licensing agreements, oversaw a portfolio of legal entities and intellectual property assets, and collaborated with outside counsel on mergers, acquisitions, financing, and related due diligence. His responsibilities included providing internal regulatory compliance training and advising on bankruptcy and collection matters.
Nick received his undergraduate degree, magna cum laude, from the University of Michigan before earning his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from the University of Iowa School of Law. During law school, he was a summer associate with a large Grand Rapids law firm, where he later worked, focusing on M&A, corporate finance, and commercial transactions before going in-house with the insurance brokerage.
Nick, his wife, and their three rambunctious sons enjoy being a part of the Grand Rapids community. When he’s not in the office or with his family, your best chance of finding him is on the golf course.
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- University of Iowa College of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2014
- Contributing Editor, Iowa Law Review
- University of Michigan, Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Political Science, magna cum laude, 2010
- Transfer student from the United States Military Academy (June 2006 – May 2008)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law, Insurance and Indemnity Law, and Young Lawyers Sections
- Grand Rapids Bar Association